Spring is here and cedar is in the air. Kuiken Brothers is one of the area’s premiere stocking suppliers of western red cedar for a variety of applications including siding, decking, exterior trim and more. Read below for a few key points to keep in mind to ensure the cedar you install performs at an optimum level, reducing call backs, and ensuring a happy customer.
Western red cedar harvested in the coastal rainforest of British Columbia. These areas are so remote workers are brought in by helicopter.
The characteristics of cedar:
- Cedar has an inherent natural preservative which increase resistance to moisture, decay and insect damage.
- Very stable as a result of its low density which helps keep the wood laying flat and aids in holding fasteners securely.
- Excellent insulating properties help keep buildings cool in summer and reduce heating costs in winter.
- Low flame-spread means Western Red Cedar is an ideal interior or exterior choice and often better than man-made building materials.
- Contains little pitch or resin and is ideal for its workability and bonding properties.
TIPS for Storage and Handling of cedar product:
- Should be stored 6″ off the ground and avoid contact with cement, brick and asphalt. You should allow the cedar to acclimate to the onsite environment before installing.
- Cedar product must be installed over dry framing and sheathing (moisture content should be 19% or less) and over an approved weather resistant barrier. Drainage plains, firring strips or rain screen will prolong the life of the product.
- Proper flashing techniques should be used around windows and doors. Caulking alone should not be considered adequate.
- Proper fasteners are stainless steel ring shank nails. These need to be flush with the surface of siding or trim so not to allow moisture. Bevel siding should never be double nailed and the lap should not be less than 1″.
If you would like more information on Western Red Cedar, please contact your Kuiken Brothers Sales Representative or fill out the Contact Us Form and a sales representative will get back to you as soon as possible.